The Josh Award
The Josh Award is the UK’s national award in science communication, established to recognise and support up-and-coming talent in science communication.
The award provides the opportunity to become the science communicator in residence at the Manchester Science Festival, developing and delivering a new project or event while showcasing best practice in the field of science communication.
The winner receives support to nurture their development in the field and their involvement in the Manchester Science Festival from the Festival team.
The Award is inspired by and named in memory of Josh Phillips who was the first Science Communication Officer at the Museum of Science and Industry. Josh was a much loved, much respected and highly talented science communicator whose outstanding career is commemorated with this award. Josh was also Chair of BIG at the time his passing.
- Role as Manchester Science Festival Science Communicator in Residence in October of the same year. The winner will receive the support of the Manchester Science Festival team, members of BIG and previous Josh Award winners to develop and deliver an innovative and creative new project or event at Manchester Science Festival.
- Up to £2500 to develop your project or event with Manchester Science Festival and up to £1000 personal expenses budget. Please note this budget will be agreed and held by the Manchester Science Festival.
- Attendance at the annual BIG Event (conference fee and annual membership provided by BIG, worth around £300) to network with and present to a diverse range of science communicators from across the sector.
- A personal prize cheque of £500 provided by the Josh Award.
- The Josh Award trophy, held for one year.
- Timothy Phillips, Chairman (Josh's Father)
- Antonio Benitez, Manchester Science Festival
- Karl Byrne, Chair of BIG Executive Committee
- Holly Jones, Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester
- James Piercy, John Innes Centre, Norwich
- Andy Miah, University of Salford
- Matt Allen, Josh Award winner 2018
How to Apply
Please download our application form here and guidance notes here. The deadline for submitting your application is TBC 2019.
Take a look at how some of our previous winners
benefited from receiving The Josh Award.