The BIG-Chat e-mail list
BIG-Chat is the e-mail list for people working in STEM engagement and communication. This is an active line of communication allowing for plenty of interactive networking. The list is a forum for BIG members to exchange examples of good practice and air their views. It can also be used for publicising events, for news items and circulation of job adverts.
How to join the BIG-Chat e-mail list1. Send a blank e-mail to email@example.com
2. You will receive an automatic e-mail to confirm your details - reply to it as instructed.
3. You will then receive a welcome message - you are then a member. Please take a moment to read the usage guidelines at the foot of this page.
To send a message to the list (once you have joined)
Your messages are automatically sent to all the members of the group. You receive all the messages sent by other group members. You can just 'listen in' or have your say. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Find out more about BIG-Chat, including how to customise your settings.
The list has open membership and is not moderated. This means that mail and replies go to all members of the list and are not checked or edited before distribution.
In common with other lists, we have a few guidelines which help make the list friendly to use:
1. Please respect other subscribers and their views - use respectful language.
2. E-mails as short as possible please.
3. When you reply to a message DON'T include the entire message in your reply. Always edit it a bit and delete something - the more the better.
4. Plain text e-mails only, not HTML or RTF.
5. Attachments - not allowed. Please copy short text into your e-mail.
6. Job adverts should not be posted. Instead, send your job announcement to firstname.lastname@example.org for posting onto the website.
7. No adverts for commercial services. However, occasional announcements from commercial ventures, which are of real use to the list subscribers, are acceptable.
8. 'Junkmail' e-mail advertising will not be tolerated.