We have an exciting opportunity to join us at theMRC-University of Glasgow Centre for Virus Research as a freelance/consultant Science Communication Specialist from (1st February 2021 negotiable) until the 30th September 2021.
The MRC-University of Glasgow Centre for Virus Research (CVR) undertakes innovative discovery science to understand viruses of global impact and improve global health. We are currently at the forefront of the UK’s response to COVID-19 with active research programmes from petri dish to clinical trial.
The CVR, part of the Institute of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation within the Medical, Veterinary & Life Sciences College is seeking a Science Communications Specialist to:
1. Support CVR researchers with the internal and external dissemination and communication of the Centre’s activities.
2. Develop content, update, and maintain our website, and assist in the management of social media platforms
3. Liaise with University and funder communication teams for media coverage and press relations.
4. Engage with colleagues across the University to ensure timely internal and external communication of research information to relevant stakeholders.
5. Support our internal training program by delivering communications training sessions.
6. Develop a promotional video for prospective students and researchers considering joining the CVR
7. Design a multimedia overview of our COVID-19 research response portfolio.
We are seeking a science comms professional who can demonstrate the following:
• Proven experience developing content for digital dissemination including websites and social media.
• Understanding of the need for accessible communication of science
• Experience of assimilating complex information quickly, identifying the pertinent points and making them accessible for a wider audience.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills.
• Experience of STEM subjects with a good knowledge of biological science preferrable.
• Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary team and an academic environment.
• Ability to work independently and use initiative
• Highly organised and professional approach
Although the bulk of the work can be carried out on a flexible basis, there will be occasions when it will be necessary to commit to defined working days depending on current activities and priorities. As a guide we estimate around 2 days per week will be required to deliver this project. We expect the project will be completed by 30th September 2021.
The fee payable is based on a University of Glasgow Grade 7 Managerial, Professional and Administrative salary of £35,845 at 0.4FTE for the duration of the contact (~8 months). Due to the nature of the appointment we need to provide the University with independent quotes for the work.
To apply please supply a short cover letter describing your suitability, along with a CV &/orportfolio of previous work and a quote for the work to Faye Watson (email:email@example.com).
Closing date for applications: Friday 15th January 2021
Shortlisting and interviews will be held shortly after this closing date.