Mission:Rescue Outreach Development Brief
Winchester Science Centre are looking for an experienced science communicator to develop a space themed outreach programme for KS2/KS3 children.
About Mission Rescue:
Mission:Rescue is a highly stimulating and immersive experience that takes children on a mission in space. During their expedition, they are faced with a series of unexpected events that challenge their success. Using the available tools and resources, the children have to think like engineers to find a crew missing in action, build a heat shield and safely land a spaceship. The children will need to be creative, communicate well and work as a team to find the solutions that will enable them to complete their mission.
Promotional video available here.
Concepts covered will include reflection and refraction, Newton’s laws, forces, conduction, coding and programming and temperature differences. The students will complete a video diary during the day to monitor and measure their own progress, whilst being able to share this with class at the end of the challenge.
This is also a fantastic opportunity for students to develop their skills in areas such as teamwork, communication and presenting.
Development & training time: £3,000
- - Session plans for each activity and the transitions
- - Outline script
- - PPT with embedded Astronaut Sophie videos
- - Demo instructions with KS appropriate explanations of the science (including set up and pack down)
- - Risk assessments
- - Log book template
- - Kit list with quantities and links of where they can be purchased
- - Consumables list with quantities per session based on 120 pupils and links of where they can be purchased
- - Chemical prep instructions if needed
- - Evaluation forms for pupils and teachers to complete
- - 2 x training sessions with the team at Winchester Science Centre (likely to be ~4 hours each)
- - Attendance to first session for support and feedback to the team
Dates for training: 5th & 7th November (tbc)
Date of first outreach: 22nd November
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org outlining your suitability for the role as soon as possible.