TRAINing RESEARCHERS IN PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT
Tuesday 12th February, 2019 - 9:45am-4.30pm (coffee and registration from 9.30am)
UPDATE: Thanks to financial support from UKRI, we are able to offer financial and material support for this Skills Day. See here for more information.
National Railway Museum, York
As part of BIG's role in promoting excellence in science communication we are pleased to announce our upcoming skills day.
- Do you work in a university to support public engagement with research?
- Have you been asked to develop and deliver training or professional development for scientists?
If you said yes to either question, then this BIG Skills Day is for you!
In this highly practical day, we’ll share our experiences of developing training and professional development specifically for researchers. We’ll look at what makes for effective training, different types of intervention, participants’ needs and evaluating the effectiveness of training. Bring your experiences to share and any challenges you’re encountering.
During this Skills Day you will:
- Consider good practice in training;
- Develop a toolkit of example activities to use in your own training; and
- Have personal advice and support for any challenges you are facing.
Who is the day for?
- People who work outside universities and research organisations with experience of developing training for researchers;
- People who work in a public engagement role at universities;
- People who already have experience developing training for researchers; and
- People who want to advance their training and knowledge of working with researchers.
Helen Featherstone, PhD is the Head of Public Engagement at the University of Bath
Natalie Ford, Outreach and Engagement Officer, NDORMS, University of OxfordDr Nicola Stock, Public Engagement Officer & Project Lead, The Roslin Institute, University of Edinburgh
This skills day is part of the University of Bath’s ChallengeCPD project. Helen will share findings from this work which is looking at why training for public engagement can be a challenging area.
£45 for BIG members including lunch and coffee
Non-members will need to join BIG first at an annual cost of £30 and then come back to register for the day as a member.