Salary - £25,000+ dependent on experience
Closing date – Friday 27 July 2018, 5pm
To strategically plan and lead the development and delivery of Aberdeen Science Centre’s (ASC) Learning Programmes for schools, young people, families and the public.
Manage/supervise the team to ensure that the Learning Team targets and funded projects are delivered on time and within budget.
As part of the Executive Team contribute to the development and delivery of ASC’s long-term sustainability.
To communicate with the funders of Learning Programmes, including writing reports and hosting visits for funders.
To lead the expansion of ASC’s Learning Programmes and Learning Team, through the implementation of new projects, in particular to utilise the opportunities afforded by Inspiring Science Fund recently awarded to the redevelopment of the centre and increase the geographical reach.
• To strategically plan and lead the development and delivery of ASC’s Learning Programmes for schools, young people, families and the public.
• To ensure that the needs of ASC’s audience and stakeholders are met, with a high level of customer service across all the Learning Programmes.
• To contribute to the development and delivery of ASC’s long-term sustainability.
• To seek and develop new sources of income, through introduction of new programmes for ASC.
• To manage ASC’s Learning Team including any casual project specific staff.
• To communicate with funders of the Learning Programmes including writing reports and hosting visits.
• To maintain a comprehensive knowledge of local and national STEM and Education strategies and developments.
• To oversee the delivery and project management of the Learning Programmes both new and funded projects to ensure targets are achieved on time and within budget.
• Contribute to the content of manage and monitor the Learning Team annual budget.
• To create and co-ordinate the development of new content and update of existing content with team members and external partners.
• To lead ASC’s evaluation strategies.
• To manage, with ASC’s marketing team, the marketing of all Aberdeen Science Centre’s Learning Programmes including school mail shots, social media, e-newsletter and event listings.
This list of accountabilities is not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to take on other duties deemed reasonable by their line manager.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent management skills.
- Strong and proven leadership, organisational and planning skills.
- Able to work well under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal skills including motivational, negotiating, influencing and relationship building.
- Able to translate plans to action for the people who work for them.
- An in-depth knowledge of best practice in STEM Learning.
- Understanding of budget monitoring and control.
- Able to use all relevant internal systems, policies and procedures.
- Willingness to be flexible on hours and days of work on a regular basis.
Character & Personal qualities
- Professional and confident.
- Strong and effective communication skills.
- Self-motivated with a strong results focus.
- Great Team Player.
- Resilience when challenged by others and when under pressure.
- Enthused by challenge and innovation.
- Big picture thinker: Looks beyond the obvious.
- Assertive with the will to achieve.
- Objective and impartial thinking.
- Good judgment and common sense.
Qualifications & experience
- BA or BSc (Hons) or equivalent qualification in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics or Education.
- 2+ years’ experience working in a STEM related field, STEM teaching or STEM delivery in either the formal or informal sector.
- 2+ years of management experience including managing a team who are delivering several different programmes in parallel.
- Experience in contributing to strategic planning.
- Experience in reporting to senior management and funders.
If you would like further information regarding this position please contact Liz Hodge, email email@example.com or telephone 01224 518051.