Circa £45,000 to £65,000 per annum - Permanent, Full time
A fantastic opportunity has arisen to lead on the schools and colleges initiatives for the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), which exist to inspire future generations of engineers and technicians; to show the many routes into engineering-based training and careers; to create a positive image of engineering amongst young people, their teachers and parents; and, to develop the practical and employability skills that young people need to make them appealing to employers.
Following 8 years of transformational change, growth and value improvement within the IET’s Education 5-19 department the current manager is moving on, opening up the role to a dynamic individual who can build on the existing programme of activity and further cement the IET’s place as a leading provider of engineering-themed STEM enrichment activities, teaching resources, grant funding and policy influence.
- · The IET Faraday teaching resources
- · The IET Faraday Challenge Day competition
- · The FIRST LEGO League robotics-based life-skills challenge for the UK and Ireland
- · Support for the IET volunteer network of STEM Ambassadors
- · Grant funding with the IMechE, IOP and STFC
- · Careers information with Tomorrow’s Engineers
- · Support for a variety of teacher support and STEM skills development activity providers including, amongst others, F1 and 4x4 In Schools, Greenpower, EDT, Young Engineers, Big Bang Fair, Project ENTHUSE and Teach First
This is a senior management role. The post holder will report into the Director of Membership of Professional Development. The post holder will be responsible for a team of 9 full and part-time staff – 4 managers and 5 administrators, working closely with other departments, particularly on fundraising and policy work.
The IET is a world-leading professional body for the engineering and technician community. The IET Education 5-19 programme reflects the needs and interests of its members and the broader engineering community. The IET believes very much in increased impact through collaboration and works closely with other charities, professional bodies, academia, industry and the public sector.
The post is based in Stevenage, Herts but will require extensive travel in the UK and some overseas visits.
- · Degree or equivalent qualification.
- · Evidence of relevant postgraduate study.
- · Contract negotiation and senior management experience.
- · First class communication, negotiation, networking and presentation skills (including for the media).
- · Strategic thinking, planning and analytical skills.
- · Ability to prepare and monitor business plans and budgets and to drive project implementation.
- · Innovative and creative thinker.
- · Ability to design, manage and deliver change.
- · A sound knowledge and understanding of the UK formal and informal education system
- · Ability to work with a diverse range of partners at all levels.
- · Experience of effective staff management
- · Experience in curriculum development and teacher training
- · Expertise in influencing national policymakers
- · Experience of reporting and delivering at Board level
- · Experience of marketing to young people and raising awareness with the education community
- · Experience of developing and encouraging innovative ideas to drive improvement.
- · Experience of managing large, complex budgets
- · Experience of managing large, complex programmes and/or projects
- · A track record of achievement in developing, managing and implementing strategies that underpin the delivery of first class, integrated products and services.
- · Experience of volunteer support
- · Experience of customer management
- · The role requires a significant amount of UK travel and occasional European and international travel. A valid passport will be required.
- · The role often requires working with organisations with security sensitivities, which will require the post holder to have verifiable ID
- · The the post holder will be required to register as a STEM Ambassador and undergo a DBS check.